During the holidays you love to splurge on those closest to you. Why not extend the gift-giving and pampering to your favorite four-leggeds? Gidget and Buddy deserve holiday cheer as much as we all do around the most wonderful time of the year.
Today we share five holiday homemade dog treats you can make for your favorite furry friend. Packed with simple, healthy ingredients, watch your pup’s face light up on Christmas morning when you present her with these gifts.
1. Dog Candy Canes – Nothing says Christmas like a candy cane! Although these may take a little longer to make, the steps are easily explained by Dog Treat Kitchen. Your dog will love the chicken and peppermint flavor and will be begging for more! Freeze them ahead in big batches and hand them out to all the canines in your life.
2. Cesar’s Gingerbread Cookies – What are the holidays without classic gingerbread cookies? Straight from Cesar Milan himself, this recipe will make your pup’s mouth water. Like the gingerbread cookies we know and love, the ingredients are whole wheat flour, ginger, and molasses. Use dog-shaped cookie cutters and make gingerbread dogs for your fluffy buddies and their friends.
3. Doggie Bark – Your dogs will be barking for this Doggie Bark recipe found on Genius Kitchen. You only use four ingredients: carob chips, peanut butter, roasted peanuts, and cinnamon. You should never give dogs chocolate (it can be deadly), but carob chips are a safe alternative, making this a fun recipe to bring the holidays to your dog.
4. Holiday Bacon PB Glaze Treats – Decadent and so tasty, your own taste buds will zing as you prep these for your pooch. Culinary blog Pinch of Yum shared this recipe for gourmet Holiday Bacon PB Glaze treats. These homemade dog treats are made with pumpkin, whole wheat flour, peanut butter, and, of course, a touch of bacon! A video included in the link shows you the whole process. You may even want to sneak some for yourself.
5. Savory Dog Christmas Cookies – These treats are tasty and dog-friendly — and pack a little extra holiday flair! Made with mozzarella, cornflakes, and sardines, Panko Bunny provides a cute video to help you make these creative snacks. You may not want to try them, but we guarantee your dog will think they’re amazing.
Making holiday homemade dog treats is a fun experience the whole family can enjoy. We want you all to stay safe and happy this year, so please double-check your dog is not allergic to any ingredients before baking.
Contact us today for any more information on dog-safe ingredients and holiday pet safety.